Skip to main content

Moseley Prefabs

Moseley Prefabs.
Craig's Birmz History chat.

The Moseley prefabs in Wake Green Road. Although they may not look much by today's standards, the pre-fabricated house represented an improvement in living conditions for their inhabitants, many of whom had been housed in crumbling, unsanitary Victorian tenements, or left homeless when the Luftwaffe dropped bare bombs all over Birmz. 
The Temporary Housing Act, designed to address the chronic post-war housing shortage, saw some 4,000 prefabs built in Birmz, along with many other thousands across the UK. 
The style here is known as The Phoenix;
each prefab was heated, with indoor plumbing and bathrooms, and fitted with the latest labour saving devices. 
More often than not, the labour to build them was provided by German and Italian prisoners of war.
16 of the 17 in Wake Green Rd prefabs are Grade II listed; some are still occupied, and there is an ongoing project to restore them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

While they're "Uniting The Kingdom", Untie The Flags.

Just thinking; on May 16th, when the "patriots" are at the Unite The Kingdom Rally in London, wouldn't it be a jolly jape to remove  all the flags, while they're not looking. The beauty of this is: anyone who objects can't be a true patriot; if they were they'd be in London. Sort of like the witches ducking stool concept of yore, or a modern reboot of S chrodinger's Cat; Schrodinger's Racist, if you will. Just a thought, like. 

Camp Hill Line Station Update

I attended the Railway Stations Update meeting last Wednesday, and have summarised the content, with help from the Kings Heath Neighbourhood Forum. Opening timeline The new stations on the Camp Hill Line are expected to open to passengers in 2026.  No exact date has been fixed yet. Based on the meeting, the opening is likely between March 2026 and July 2026.  They emphasize that this uncertainty isn’t due to construction delays: the physical works (platforms, buildings etc.) are still on track to be finished by end of 2025 as previously announced.  The delay in announcing a date is largely due to the time needed for the “Entry into Service” process: testing, training, certification, and transfer of ownership to the operator.  An added complication is that West Midlands Trains’ ownership is changing to public ownership in February 2026, which overlaps with that handover/entry-into-service period.  Station & highway works status Kings Heath  • Most...

Uncharacteristically personal post. Delete if not allowed.

Definitely not a cry for help (I'm FINE), and not attention-seeking (well, no more than usual, any road) and I think I'm writing it to keep a record of it, and offload it: Better out than in (as my dear, sweet, grandmother would say). I've always loved an off-season seaside resort. I enjoy the melancholy vibe. I particularly love this stretch of Welsh *checks* Cambrian coast; the location of many happy family holidays with my parents, brother, aunt, uncle, cousins, and Grandad Evans, who I adored: Funny, mild-mannered, generous: a true role model. He died when I was 12; the first human death I experienced. I think of him often, in fact, every time I wash my face in cold water; something he did every night; he told me so in a holiday cottage not far from here, in Harlech; one of those trivial incidents and conversations which resonate for a lifetime. I've been melancholic for a while, particularly in the last week, where the deaths of people have made me think of mort...